What international students need to know about studying in France

More and more foreign students are choosing France for their higher education. Studying in France not only allows you to discover the local culture, but also to obtain internationally recognized degrees and to benefit from a great work experience in Europe, which will be a major asset on your CV.

Do I need to speak French to study in France?

You don’t speak French? No problem! Higher education in France has been undergoing a vast internationalization process for several years, and the American Business School of Paris offers degree programs that are taught in English. There are plenty of others. So you can still study in France even if the only words you know are « Bonjour » and « Au revoir.

Is studying in France expensive?

French higher education is known for its quality, but also for its reasonable price. The education system is based on equality, regardless of your nationality. Once you are admitted to an institution, you pay exactly the same fees as locals. In addition, international and local students receive exactly the same benefits, such as social security or mandatory medical insurance. The government will cover about 60% of your medical expenses. Students usually buy optional medical insurance to reimburse the remaining 40%, so they don’t need to pay anything for medical visits. In addition, there are some subsidies available to you. A legal full-time student staying more than 2 months in France is eligible for housing assistance which can be half of their monthly rent. Full-time students in France have the legal right to work part-time. In addition to financing your studies, you also gain valuable work experience. There are also a variety of price reductions for all students.

Why study in France?

The French higher education system is based on the LMD system (3 years for the Bachelor’s degree, 2 years for the Master’s degree and 3 years for the Doctorate).

Being a student in France will inspire you a lot in a beautiful multicultural environment. It is also the best way to experience the French art of living. Literature, gastronomy, cinema, museums are part of everyday life in France. In addition, with some schools, you will have great work experience in France or even in another European country.

Nationals of EU member countries

If you are a citizen of a member country of the European Union or the European Economic Area (which includes EU members and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), you are directly eligible to apply to certain schools like the American Business School of Paris. No special process is required, not even a visa. You’ll simply follow the online post-baccalaureate admission process, as French students do.

If you live in an EU country but are not a citizen, you will need to apply for a student visa at the French consulate.

Students from all over the world (India, USA, Canada ….)

France is also one of the most popular study destinations for Americans and Canadians. The relatively low tuition fees, English language programs, and prospects for travel throughout Europe are certainly attractive.

While their usual options are the U.S., U.K., Canada and Australia, Indian students are increasingly willing to explore new destinations beyond these four major countries. Indians love France’s mixed culture and promising job prospects.

If you are a citizen or legal resident of a non-EU country over the age of 18, you must first complete the Campus France visa application process and then apply for a visa.