Which training to become a sommelier in France?

The sommelier is a job directly linked to the hotel and restaurant industry. The holder of this position is a wine specialist whose main mission is to advise customers on the wines to be consumed during a meal. He/she is also in charge of managing the cellar and is responsible for the wine list of a restaurant.

Are you passionate about the world of wine? Would you like to become a sommelier? Here is the list of training courses to follow in France.

1 – CAP restaurant, hotel services or kitchen

Also known as CAP hôtellerie, this diploma is primarily aimed at training hotel profiles in various specialties (reception, catering, etc.). Lasting from 1 to 3 years, it allows graduates to learn the very basics of hotel management, through a wide range of modules including:

  • mathematics ;
  • safety and hygiene rules
  • preparation and service techniques
  • the art of reception and communication;
  • the identities and organizations of hotel establishments, etc.

This program is offered in CFAs. It is possible to access this program after the third year.

2 – Bac pro marketing and services in the restaurant industry

The 3-year Bac Pro in Marketing and Catering Services can be taken directly after the 9th grade. Under certain conditions, holders of a CAP in hotel management can obtain this diploma in only two years.

It is a program dedicated to training operational and qualified professionals in the fields of catering, customer service and marketing. During their 3 years (or 2 years) of study, students learn to organize food and beverage service. They also become capable of leading a team, managing inventory, planning orders, etc.

3 – Complementary mention in sommellerie

The MC (mention complémentaire) is a training program designed to promote integration into the job market through the acquisition of specific skills.

To become a sommelier, the complementary mention in sommellerie may be just what you need. It offers its holders an in-depth training in the sale and packaging of wines and other spirits.

As a reminder, all MC courses are accessible to professionals who can justify at least 3 years of professional experience in a field related to the purpose of the diploma.

In this case, a complementary mention in sommellerie is accessible to holders of a CAP, a BEP or a professional baccalaureate in the hotel and restaurant industry, but also to professionals in this sector who can justify 3 years of experience or more.

4 Brevet professionnel sommelier

The BP sommelier can be taken after a CAP or after several years of experience in the hotel and restaurant industry. This course trains professionals specialized in the marketing of wines and spirits. Holders of this diploma learn, among other things, to :

  • know the different types of wines;
  • how to locate vineyards;
  • how to package wines, etc.

Mastery of current legislation on the marketing of beverages is also part of this training, which prepares students for the job of sommelier.

5 BTS Management in the hotel and restaurant industry option A management of a restaurant unit

Like other restaurant and hotel professions, the sommelier profession can be prepared via a BTS in hotel and restaurant management. This course of study is available after a professional baccalaureate in catering or hotel technology.

It is available in three options (management of a catering unit, management of a culinary production unit, management of an accommodation unit), and gives access to the profession of sommelier.